Dates Of Our Stays: September 17, 2017 arrival, September 18 departure; May 18, 2017 arrival, May 19, 2017 departure.
With only 46 sites, this is a relatively small but big rig friendly campground located in the scenic foothills of the Alleghenies. Fairly long pull thru, full hookup, sites with 30/50 amp electric, water, sewer and fire rings. Except for a bath house, there are no amenities. In addition to the transients here, there appeared to be some seasonals as well as a few cabins for rent.
Big selling point is that it is conveniently located in Cuba, NY right off I-88 so it is great for an overnight stay (assuming you can get the Passport America rate). Roads are gravel but sites are grassy which might possibly be an issue in the rain. There is a bath house but we didn’t check it out so we can’t provide any comments on its condition.
Daily rate is $40 for full hookup. They offer a Good Sam discount which brings the daily rate to $36 if you are a member. They also offer Passport America which according to the PA website is valid for a single night, bringing the daily rate to $20 except during weekends, holidays or special events. Be aware though, as we found out the hard way when we arrived here in September (and despite the info posted on the PPA website at the time) they consider Sunday night part of the weekend (really!?) and would not honor the rate. Suggest calling to verify PPA acceptance. With no amenities besides FHU, this park is not worth the full $40 rate or even the Good Sam rate.
Overall Impression – 2/5
Decent, very basic campground located near the quaint town of Cuba. Very scenic area especially when we were there during foliage season in mid-October. Although it didn’t have a lot to offer in terms of amenities, it is very convenient for an overnight stay along I-86. When we registered we weren’t given a map, rules and regulations or any other documentation. But the person working in the office (possibly the owner) was very helpful and escorted us to our site (#44) in her golf cart. The sites are dirt and close together with no privacy, but just long enough to accommodate our 45′ rig plus tow vehicle (64′), The surrounding area is quite scenic especially around Cuba Lake. Unless it is a weekday when the PA discount is offered, we probably wouldn’t stay stay here again even though it is a convenient overnight stop.
Privacy – 1/5
None. Site spacing is close, but we have experienced worse.
Convenience – 4/5
Very convenient to I-86, located right near the off ramp. Downtown Cuba has a restaurant, a cheese shop, a grocery store and other services. Walmart is located in Olean about 13 miles away.
Physical Surroundings – 3/5
Since it is nestled in the foothills of the Alleghenies, the campground is surrounded by very scenic hills and wooded areas.
Maneuverability and Roads – 3/5
Easy to maneuver within the campground.
Peace & Quiet – 3/5
When we were here in mid-October, it was very quiet but that could be because it wasn’t that busy and we had our windows closed due to cooler temps. Even though it is close to I-86, we were not bothered by traffic noise but that is sure to be present when windows are open and may bother some.
Utilities – 3/5
- Sewer – all sites have sewer. Well placed, no screw in cap.
- Satellite – no problem here, no trees. We were able to get all three sats in the DISH western Arc (110/119/129) but 129 would only give us SD locals despite a local service address.
- WiFi – Fair, performance was 1.5mbs down and about the same up. Did not use much so cannot comment on prime time performance.
- Cellular signal – adequate Verizon 4G LTE
- Over-the-Air (OTA) TV – zero, none, nada. No signals available at this location and no cable.
- Power – Good, newish power pole with 20/30/50A
- Water Pressure/Quality – good pressure, slight chlorine taste, no discoloration or turbidity.
What We Liked
– Clean campground
– Scenic area
– Close to the highway so very convenient
– Long pull thru that did not require us to unhitch
What We Didn’t Like
– Lack of privacy between sites
– Dirt/grass sites have potential to be muddy in wet weather
– High daily rate
– Did not honor info that was posted on Passport America