Dates Of Our Stays: September 17, 2017 arrival, September 18 departure; May 18, 2017 arrival, May 19, 2017 departure.
With only 46 sites, this is a relatively small but big rig friendly campground located in the scenic foothills of the Alleghenies. Fairly long pull thru, full hookup, sites with 30/50 amp electric, water, sewer and fire rings. Except for a bath house, there are no amenities. In addition to the transients here, there appeared to be some seasonals as well as a few cabins for rent.
Big selling point is that it is conveniently located in Cuba, NY right off I-88 so it is great for an overnight stay. Roads are gravel but sites are grassy which might possibly be an issue in the rain. There is a bath house but we didn’t check it out so we can’t provide any comments on its condition.
Daily rate is $40 for full hookup. They offer a Good Sam discount which brings the daily rate to $36 if you are a member. They also offer Passport America which according to the PA website is valid for a single night, bringing the daily rate to $20 except during holidays or special events. Be aware though as we found out the hard way when we arrived here in September for a Sunday night stay that they don’t offer it on weekends as per a sign they have posted in the office. With no amenities, this park is definitely not worth the $40 rate.
Overall Impression – 2/5
Decent, very basic campground located near the quaint town of Cuba. Very scenic area especially when we were there during foliage season in mid-October. Although it didn’t have a lot to offer in terms of amenities, it is very convenient for an overnight stay along I-86. When we registered we weren’t given a map, rules and regulations or any other documentation. But the person working in the office (possibly the owner) was very helpful and escorted us to our site (#44) in her golf cart. The surrounding area is quite scenic especially around Cuba Lake. Unless it is a weekday when the PA discount is offered, we probably wouldn’t stay stay here again even though it is a convenient overnight stop.
Privacy – 1/5
None. Site spacing is close, but not as close as other private campgrounds we have visited.
Convenience – 4/5
Very convenient to I-86, located right near the off ramp. Downtown Cuba has a restaurant, a cheese shop, a grocery store and other services. Walmart is located in Olean about 13 miles away.
Physical Surroundings – 3/5
Since it is nestled in the foothills of the Alleghenies, the campground is surrounded by very scenic hills and wooded areas.
Maneuverability and Roads – 3/5
Easy to maneuver within the campground.
Peace & Quiet – 3/5
When we were here in mid-October, it was very quiet but that could be because it wasn’t that busy and we had our windows closed due to cooler temps. Even though it is close to I-86, we were not bothered by traffic noise but that is sure to be present when windows are open and may bother some.
Utilities – 3/5
- Sewer – all sites have sewer. Well placed, no screw in cap.
- Satellite – no problem here, no trees. We were able to get all three sats in the DISH western Arc (110/119/129) but 129 would only give us SD locals despite a local service address.
- WiFi – Good, performance was 1.5mbs down and about the same up. Did not use much so cannot comment on prime time performance.
- Cellular signal – adequate Verizon 4G LTE
- Over-the-Air (OTA) TV – zero, none, nada. No signals available at this location and no cable.
- Power – Good, newish power pole with 20/30/50A
- Water Pressure/Quality – good pressure, slight chlorine taste, no discoloration or turbidity.
What We Liked
– Clean campground
– Scenic area
– Close to the highway so very convenient
What We Didn’t Like
– Lack of privacy between sites which wasn’t a big deal for an overnight stop
– High daily rate